Employee Express Plan
The Carolina Employee Express Plan is designed to offer all permanent employees of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill the flexibility of using their UNC One Card for purchases on campus and having those purchases deducted from their payroll check each payday. This plan is available ONLY to full-time or part-time permanent employees at the University.
Discounts and Specials
There are discounts available in Carolina Dining Services locations including Top of Lenoir and Chase Dining Hall. Please check at these locations for the exact amount of the discount. We will notify you by email as other discounts and specials become available.
How Does It Work?
Simple! Your UNC One Card is already electronically encoded to give you access to assigned buildings, gated parking lots, etc. The Carolina Employee Express Plan allows you to purchase goods and services all across campus by way of simple payroll deduction.
There is no fee associated with the Carolina Employee Express Plan. Your payroll deduction is only for the cost of your campus purchases, up to the maximums described below in “How much can I spend?”
Accepted at all Carolina Dining Service locations:
- Lenoir Dining Hall
- Chase Dining Hall
- Mainstreet in Lenoir
- Rams Head Market Express
- Alpine Bagel Student Union
- Starbucks at Rams Head
- McColl Café – Business School
- Tarheal Café – Thurston Bowles
- The Beach – Brinkhous-Bullitt
- Common Grounds – Graham Memorial
- Friends Café – Health Sciences Library
- EspressOasis – Global Education Center
- Atrium Café – Hooker Research Center
- Law Bar – Van Hecke-Wettach
- Blue Ram – Campus YMCA Bldg.
- AOB Cafe – 2nd floor AOB
Accepted in other locations too, including:
- UNC Student Stores (all products)
- Health Affairs Bookstore
- The Friday Center Bookshop
- All Libraries (copiers, printers)
- Memorial Hall and Union Box Offices
- Printing Services – Student Union
- ITS Software Acquisition (e.g., Iron Mountain)
- All vending machines that accept the card as payment
Starting Your Plan
Frequently Asked Questions
- What if I lose my UNC One Card?
- If you ever lose your UNC One Card, you should suspend your card immediately, which will prevent any unauthorized use of your UNC One Card for any purpose (including the Carolina Employee Express Plan). Your UNC One Card will be invalidated by the UNC One Card Office. Once a new UNC One Card is issued, your Carolina Employee Express Plan will be re-activated for your use as will all other uses associated with your card.
- How can I keep up with my transactions and balances?
- You can view all of your transactions in real time. You may also check your balance or suspend your UNC One Card at this website. Any employee can come to the UNC One Card Office for assistance.
- Will I receive a statement?
- Yes. You will receive an email at the end of each pay period that will direct you to an electronic statement. You will then see the transactions and total balance from that pay period that will be deducted from your next pay check. Unless otherwise approved by the UNC One Card Office, we will not mail paper copies of statements; however, any employee can come to the UNC One Card Office for assistance.
- How much can I spend?
- Employees who are paid bi-weekly will have a spending limit of $100 per pay period. Employees who are paid monthly will have a spending limit of $200 per pay period. At the end of each pay period, all purchases will be reported to payroll for individual deductions and all spending limits will be reset.
- What if I need to dispute a charge?
- For all disputes, you will need to come to the One Card Office and fill out a dispute form. After review by the UNC One Card Office and the campus unit in question, if there is an error, the UNC One Card Office either will apply a credit against your existing balance due (if during the same pay period) or add a credit to our existing Faculty/Staff convenience account. Credits will not be applied to your pay check.
- What if I have an existing Faculty/Staff convenience account?
- No problem. Your convenience account will continue to be used until your balance is depleted and then your Carolina Employee Express Plan will be your one and only plan to use. If you ever cancel your Carolina Employee Express Plan then your Faculty/Staff convenience account will be reinstated.
It’s easy to open your Carolina Employee Express Plan! Stop by the UNC One Card Office today or enroll online.
Terms & Conditions
1. Eligibility to Participate
Only full time or part-time permanent employees of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (“UNC-Chapel Hill” or “University”), as verified by the UNC One Card Office, are eligible to participate in the Carolina Employee Express Plan.
Upon enrolling in this program, a participating employee (or “participant”) agrees to all terms and conditions as herein established, and as may be amended from time to time as described in Section 5, below.
2. Use of the Carolina Employee Express Plan
This plan is an inclining balance/credit plan that is available only to permanent employees of UNC-Chapel Hill. Its purpose is to provide participants a convenient way to make purchases on campus using their UNC One Cards and have those costs automatically deducted from their pay checks.
When your card is used for purchasing goods or services on campus, an inclining balance will begin within your plan. Prior to each pay check you receive; the balance used will be deducted from your pay check and will be listed in your payroll deduction portion of your pay stub. Your balance will be cleared from your plan at that time and a new balance will begin until the next pay cycle concludes. All deductions will coincide with the pay period that the purchases were made in. Example; for SPA employees on the plan, if you make purchases in pay period 10, then at the end of that pay period we will total up those purchases, and you will have the deduction taken in your pay check for pay period 10 which you will receive 2 weeks after pay period 10 ends. For EPA employees on the plan, your purchases will be totaled up prior to your monthly pay check and deducted from that pay check.
3. Authorization for Personal Use Only
Your participation in the Carolina Employee Express Plan is limited to your personal use only. Any other use is a violation of the terms and conditions of the Plan and may result in the UNC One Card Office ending your participation.
4. Property of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
The UNC One Card is the property of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Upon a request from any University official or security personnel, the cardholder will provide his or her UNC One Card if required to do so. Improper or fraudulent use of a UNC One Card constitutes a violation of state law. Upon termination of employment, the cardholder agrees to return his or her UNC One Card to the UNC One Card Office or to the Office of Human Resources.
5. Obligation to Report Lost or Stolen Card
The cardholder is obligated to report a lost or stolen UNC One Card as soon as possible. This report will be made to either the UNC One Card Office or to UNC Police at the following locations:
UNC One Card Office
285 Manning Drive
The cardholder may also put his or her UNC One Card on hold through our website using his or her Onyen and password.
The employee is responsible for paying any applicable replacement fee prior to or concurrent with the re-issuance of his or her UNC One Card. The current replacement fee is posted at the UNC One Card Office.
6. Right to Alter Terms and Conditions
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill reserves the right to alter any term or condition contained herein. A current version of this agreement is available upon request from the UNC One Card Office.
1. General Information Regarding Financial Transactions Using Your UNC One Card
Once you are enrolled in the Carolina Employee Express Plan, your UNC One Card may be used to pay for various goods and services on campus.
The following terms and conditions will not apply until the cardholder first uses his or her card for a financial transaction. USING YOUR CARD FOR A PURCHASE OF GOODS OR SERVICES CONSTITUTES A FINANCIAL TRANSACTION.
2. Liability for All Financial Transactions, Including Unauthorized Transactions
Employees who are paid bi-weekly have a spending limit of $100 per pay period. Employees who are paid monthly have a spending limit of $200 per pay period.
The cardholder is responsible for all financial activity generated by the use of his or her card, and agrees to pay for that activity.
If the UNC One Card is lost or stolen:
- the cardholder may be responsible for up to $50 of unauthorized purchases if he or she reports the loss to the UNC One Card Office within two (2) business days of the loss;
- the cardholder may be responsible for up to $500 if he or she reports the loss to the UNC One Card Office between three (3) and sixty (60) business days of the loss; and
- the cardholder may have unlimited responsibility for unauthorized purchases if he or she does not report the loss to the UNC One Card Office within sixty (60) business days of the loss, up to the date of the reported loss.
For purchases made in vending or photocopy machines, there is a daily limit of $15 that is the employee’s responsibility if the card is not reported lost or stolen.
3. Availability of Card Usage Statements
The UNC One Card Office administers all accounts. A statement will be made available for each pay cycle to show usage of the plan and balance of expenditures. Information about the cardholder’s plan balance or transaction history is available through our website in the “Manage My Account” section using an Onyen and password. Any employee may also come to the UNC One Card Office for assistance.
The UNC One Card Office reserves the right to limit a transaction record to the three-month period immediately preceding the request.
4. Correction of Incorrect Charges
If a cardholder believes there is an incorrect charge to his or her plan, it must be disputed at the UNC One Card Office within 90 days. Any correction of an incorrect charge during the same pay cycle will be corrected immediately and removed from the amount to be deducted from the employee’s pay check. If an incorrect charge occurred in a past pay cycle, the correction will be made and a credit will appear on the employee’s regular Faculty/Staff convenience account and can be used immediately for purchases.
Due to payroll tax issues, past credits will not be applied back to your paycheck.
5. Employees Not in Pay Status
The UNC One Card Office will immediately deactivate the plan of any employee who is no longer in pay status (including being on leave without pay, separating from employment, and retiring) upon notification of the employee’s change in status.
The UNC One Card Office will close out the plan completely once the last payroll deduction has been made and the outstanding balance is paid.
If the employee returns to pay status or is reemployed with the University, he or she must re-enroll in the plan if he or she wishes to participate in the Carolina Employee Express Plan.